Pleasanton, Calif. – Simpson Strong-Tie, the leader in engineered structural connectors and building solutions, has redesigned its popular RCKW rigid kneewall connector for cold-formed steel construction to provide a versatile, two-anchor option for contractors using 1/2″- or 3/8″-diameter concrete anchors, resulting in faster and more efficient installation. When higher loads are required, the RCKW can be combined with the RCKWS stiffener (sold separately) to provide additional capacity for maximizing overturning moment resistance.
Fabricated from heavy-gauge, G90 galvanized steel, the RCKW and RCKWS have three large holes allowing either a one-anchor solution at the edge or center of a slab or a two-anchor solution for applications requiring higher capacities at the center of the slab. The screw holes and anchor holes in the stiffener line up with those in the RCKW clip, making fastener and anchor installation a snap.
“The redesign, offering additional anchoring options, answers the contractor’s need for greater versatility in cold-formed steel connectors that are adaptable and easy to use,” said Simpson Strong-Tie senior product manager Clifton Melcher, P.E. “Multiple install options and load solutions help simplify installations while providing required rotation resistance to meet unique load requirements.”
In addition, Simpson Strong-Tie has successfully tested the two-anchor solution with 3/8″-diameter anchors, suited for shallower-embedment applications such as fluted decks. Features of the RCKW system include:
- Unique small and large anchor-hole patterns permit anchorage to both concrete and structural steel.
- Stiffened anchorage leg flanges provide greater overturning moment resistance.
- Large anchor holes accommodate 1/2″-diameter Simpson Strong-Tie® Titen HD® heavy-duty screw anchors or Strong-Bolt® 2 wedge anchors.
- Additional smaller-diameter anchor holes enable attachment to structural steel with #12 self-drilling screws.
- RCKWS stiffeners can be secured to the RCKW clip with screws, optimizing resistance to overturning and rotational moments.
In addition to co-hosting the Decks Done Right workshops, Simpson Strong-Tie showcase a full range of structural, deck and Quik Drive® fastening products, their complete line of Outdoor Accents® decorative structural hardware, and their patent-pending MPBZ moment post base at the DeckExpo event.
For more information about the RCKW system — including fastener pattern options, installation diagrams, and tables for allowable moment, rotational stiffness and allowable shear and tension loads for both concrete and steel applications — visit strongtie.com/rckw.